JENELLE CROATTO APD
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup uncooked buckwheat
- 2 x large beetroot
- ½ cup chopped almonds or other nuts of choice
- 2 cups watercress
- 1 TBS fresh chives or other herbs of choice chopped
- Low fat goats cheese
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBS fresh orange juice
- 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
WHAT YOU DO:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and trim any remaining beetroot leaves. Wrap each beetroot in foil and roast for around 50 minutes or until a skewer easily pierces the flesh. Allow to cool and then peel and cut into small cubes (2 x 2 cm).
2. Meantime, gently toast the buckwheat in a pan for 2-3 minutes to create a lovely nutty aroma. Add 2 cups of water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until cooked and fluffy – should take around 1-15 minutes. Once cooked remove from the stove, rinse with cold water and drain well (nobody likes a soggy salad).
3. In a bowl combine the buckwheat, beetroot, watercress, chives and almonds.
4. Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and orange juice to prepare the dressing.
5. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and crumble in some goats cheese. Gently combine all ingredients and then serve