Roasted vegetables are incredibly versatile, and one the easiest ways to enjoy such delights are in a colourful warm salad.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 carrots, halved and quartered
- 2 turnips, halved and quartered
- 3 small beetroots, cut into bit sized chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 bunch of asparagus, left whole
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup freekah (brown rice is suitable alternative)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- A little feta or goats cheese
WHAT YOU DO:
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a large baking tray with baking paper. Also line a smaller tray with baking paper (this one is for the beetroots, and saves the other vegetables from turning purple!)
- Place the beetroots onto the small baking tray, and arrange the other vegetables onto the large baking tray.
- Drizzle over some extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt if desired.
- Place both trays into the preheated oven and roast for around 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking, bring a medium saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the freekah (or brown rice) until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Tumble the roasted veg into a large serving dish and stir the freekah.
- Crumble a little cheese over the top and serve while warm.